Sunday, September 11, 2011

"So Much To Say" Part 1

**WARNING: If you are not an avid Dave Matthews Band fan, you may find this boring.  Pity.

In my early twenties, my summer's typically included more than a few trips around the west coast to hear my favorite band, Dave Matthews Band.  But as the years passed, trips to the show's became less frequent and since 2006, just about obsolete.  I even scaled back on listening to them as it was almost to painful to bare that I was not going to get to see them live, yes, I love them that much, until this past Labor Day.  It was really a guilt ridden decision I made to say goodbye to my boys  for 4 nights and 4 days while I hit the road with a couple girlfriends to relive my camping concert DMB days, but boy am I glad I did.


4 Hr Roadtrip from Portland to the Gorge

Any true DMB fan will tell you that the Gorge "Experience" is just about as good as it gets.  You hear 3 days of good the best music, in an incredible setting along the Columbia River in Washington.  It was just as I remembered it, yet it felt so strange to "let go" as my resposibilities these days feel endless.  All three of us were in the same boat, and I think we relished the fact that we handnt a thing to do but hang out, read magazines, enjoy bloody mary's, eat awesome camping food (thanks to Michelle), think about what we were going to wear to the show and how close to the stage we were gonna get.


Our Awesome Setup.  Seriously, Thanks to Miche, we camped in style!

Camping next to 10,000 people is not necessarily fun, but our neighbors were pretty chill and the grass was a nice perk...Thank You Premier Parking Pass!
For the first time in 20 years, DMB didn't tour as normal. This year they called it a Caravan...4 stops total.  A Music Festival that included a few bands that I didnt really care about.  Normally it's just DMB, so while the majority of people where there for DMB, there were a few people that came out for the "Woodstock like" experience.  This definately had it's pro's and con's.  Con's being that the crowd definately was more mellow and seemed to be filled with more jerk-offs than usual.  I attribute this to the fact that perhaps they werent TRUE fans or that i'm 5 years older?? Probably a little bit of both in there.  Ready for the PRO???  OPEN SEATING!!  When we first arrived at the venue we scoped out a location on the grass.  If you know me at all, you know that I am a total snob when it comes to being right up front for shows.  I was gonna let it go and stretch out and enjoy the scenery, until I noticed something...people walking in and out around the front of the stage.  This picture was taken of me when I realized we could go right up front with our General Admission Tickets.  Pure Joy!


Friday Sep 2 2011
Gorge Amphitheatre Setlist

Don’t Drink the Water
Squirm
Proudest Monkey
Satellite
Seven
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
Sweet *
Out Of My Hands +
Lying In the Hands of God
Shotgun
American Baby Intro
American Baby
Funny The Way It Is
Stay Or Leave
Crush
Shake Me Like a Monkey
Tripping Billies

__________________

A Whiter Shade of Pale *
Time Bomb
Grey Street

Show Notes:
* Dave Solo
+ Dave, Carter, Stefan and Tim


Friday night's show was mellow but awesome. My Favorite by Far: Shotgun.  This song is super rare, so rare that I usually forget the name and spend a good amount of time racking my brain or pestering friends to try to remember.  This song is not on any recorded albums but i've been obsessed with it since I heard it in Irvine, CA in 2006.  Love it.  Proudest Monkey brought tears to my eyes and had a whole new meaning to me.  All I could think about was my Kellan, my proud little monkey that mimicks me on a daily basis."Monkey See Monkey Do!" In fact, a lot of the songs have a new meaning to me now that I'm a mama and a wife.  It was a cool realization. Notiable Mentions of the night: Lying in the hands of God - So pretty, Whiter Shade of Pale - beautiful cover and Grey Street Finale...loved it!


Me and Miche...We took this picture when we realized the lighting was good!
The fact that Im a giant is only exagerated my the fact that
I'm standing on the Upside of a slant. Not Cool.
 
Good Lighting...Bad Focus

Please visit Parts 2 and 3 for remainder of Labor Day Awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment