Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Living Gluten Free

Gluten does not agree with my waistline and my insides, but sometimes (especially with an appetite and love for food like I have) desire over comes brains and I give in.  All week I've been prepping myself for the pain that will surely ensue after I indulge in glutenous Thanksgiving delights.  Unless, I come prepped with some options that will keep my belly happy and my tastebuds satisfied?  Refinery29 featured some yumm-o GF options (especially the one i've posted below).  Looks colorful, fresh, and right up my alley!  I'll definately be cooking this stuffing up tomorrow!

The Gluten-Free Alternative: Quinoa & Lentil Stuffing


Ingredients:
2 cups quinoa
2 cups lentils
Olive oil
4 oz white wine
4 quarts of gluten-free vegetable stock (substitute water for low-sodium alternative)
1 bunch kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 small butternut squash, cubed
1 bunch sage, chopped
salt and pepper
2 oz Humboldt Fog soft goat cheese (optional)

Steps:

1. Roast Squash: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut squash into 1” cubes; place on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden, about 25 minutes.

2. Make Quinoa: Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small pot over high heat. Heat oil; add quinoa and toast, stirring constantly. When the quinoa starts to brown, pour in 4 cups stock; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cover, 15 minutes. Set aside.

3: Cook Lentils: Place 2 cups of lentils and 4 ½ cups of vegetable stock (or water) in a small pot. Bring to a boil over high heat; turn down heat and simmer covered, 15 minutes. Stir occasionally, every 5 minutes, so lentils don’t burn. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.

4. Layer Flavors: In a large sauté pan over high heat, sauté onions until translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add kale, season again, and sauté until wilted. Add garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds; pour in white wine. Cook until kale is tender, about 8 minutes. Set aside.

5. Toss and Bake: Combine all above items. Stir in a little stock, olive oil, and sage. Season. Top with cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.



Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment